Listen to South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu speak on the importance of human relationships & ubuntu:
Have a conversation about this video with someone you trust.
- How do you respond to the idea that you cannot be fully human on your own, but that you become human through relationships?
- “In order for me to be truly me, I need you to be fully yourself.” What does this suggest about the way we ought to treat one another?
- How have you experienced the idea of ubuntu, that “my humanity is bound up in yours,” that “I am because you are,” that “a person is a person through other persons,” that “we need this communal harmony if we are to survive at all”?
- Why is the biblical idea of forgiveness so important? How is it an example of ubuntu?
- In what ways might our experience of church change if we embraced more fully the idea of ubuntu? How might it change relationships within the church? How might it affect the church’s relationship with our community?