Think of someone you know who is suffering.  Contact that person humbly and request time just to visit, to spend time together without agenda.  Adopt the stance of a pilgrim, journeying into this person’s experience.  You are not there to give advice or solve problems.  You are there to learn from that person what it is like to be in his or her shoes.  Listen 80% of the time.  Use the remaining 20% to ask questions and express empathy. Before you connect, remind yourself how God is present in suffering.  Pray that Christ will be revealed through your connection.  Pay attention to how he comes to you through your encounter.  After your time has ended, reflect on what you heard, what you learned both about the other person and yourself.   You might want to write down some of your thoughts and feelings and ask God what you need to learn from the experience.